Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Things People Write

Because I’m blogcasting my opinions I guess I fall into a “glass house” category but sometimes the opinions of others really trigger my o.g. (opinion generator). Two things in particular that bother me are opinions that are based on patently false information and “personal” opinions that are apparently nothing more than knee-jerk restatements of popular propaganda. For instance:

I Have Déjá Vu From Arguments Against The War In Iraq

Paul Gordon's whiny polemic against the war in Iraq ("Let's put a final end to this needless war we're waging," Oct. 9) is the same one used against the Vietnam War by the same people: the Democrat Party.

I remind Mr. Gordon that we won the Vietnam War. A peace treaty was signed on Jan. 27, 1973.

Over the next two years, Russia and China resupplied North Vietnam and the Democrat-led Congress refused to give previously promised aid to South Vietnam, resulting in the murder of tens of thousands of those loyal to the United States when they violated the treaty and invaded in 1975.

As one who is proud to have served in Vietnam, I ask him to use his predilection for 20:20 hindsight to surmise what might happen if we pull out now.

Ed Morgan, Clarksburg, Frederick County
http://www.gazette.net/stories/10232008/fredlet151930_32475.shtml

I’m not sure what to say; for the last thirty-five years I’ve known, and I’m pretty sure that everybody else knew, that we lost that war. I know, for instance, the following know we lost:
· The 58,209 Americans Killed in Action and other dead,
· The 303,635 Americans Wounded in Action (including 153,303 who required hospitalization and 150,332 who didn't) and
· The 1,948 Americans Missing in Action.
· The 125,000 Vietnamese who came to the U.S. after fleeing their own country during the spring of 1975.
· The millions around the world who saw the refugees being airlifted off the roof of the American Embassy in Saigon as the city fell to the North Vietnamese in April, 1075.
Signing a treaty does not mean you won, either; usually representatives of both sides sign. Certainly the terms of the Paris Peace Accords do not identify the United States as the winner of anything but an opportunity to go home. The American Indians, for example, signed more than 120 peace treaties between 1778 and 1868. I don’t think they considered themselves the winners in any of the conflicts those documents “ended.”
By Carroll G. Anderson
11/6/08

No comments: